My Star


My Star

I stand on the top of a very tall mesa. It is night time and so is very dark. There is a cool wind that touches my face. I cannot see below the mesa. I cannot see the edge of the cliffs.  There is a lone star on the horizon… at least I think it is a star. It is where I need to go.

I start to run toward it… faster and faster. When I reach the edge of the cliff I jump and sail with incredible speed out and into the open air, almost like the point of a speeding rocket. My heart rate increases and my adrenaline jumps. I am flying toward the small pinpoint of light. Behind me spreads out a huge plume of black… maybe smoke, maybe a cape.

There is part of me who feels this black cloud behind me is actually pushing me with incredible force. It is fueling my flight. I  then see other dimmer points of light and know that these must be the destinations of others.

As I continue on toward my star, I realize that the light I am pointed at is only there to maintain my trajectory, I am never meant to actually reach the star.

My star will never appear closer no matter how quickly I move toward it … and that is okay.

This is my Journey

-- Owl

Comments