I Make Prayer



I Make Prayer.

The Oxford dictionary defines prayer as: "A solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship".  The secondary definition is also just as much if not more relevant to my purposes: "An earnest hope or wish".

A prayer is a communication with something larger and more mysterious. It is a request for healing or a way of celebrating and giving thanks to something.  True Prayer is done with purposeful and focused intent; with sacred conviction, adoration and extreme respect.

The verbal prayer has been used for thousands of years by almost every religion and spiritual belief that has ever existed. The "made" prayer has also been in practice through many meditative art forms throughout history. Examples range from sand mandalas done by the Tibetan Monks, tattoos created by New Zealand aborigines, stone megalithic temples by ancient Europe  and jewelry found throughout the world. One could argue that some physical practices, such as yoga and dance are also "made" prayers. And of course, song and music such as chanted mantras by medieval Monks are "made" prayers, as well.

Within the Lakota Sioux tradition, which I am a young student of, there is the act of making Prayer Ties. These are small bundles of tobacco, wrapped in colored cloth and tied together. The act of making these ties is done as a meditative art practice and ritual, enabling focused and committed intent to be placed within each tie. The initiate is sometimes asked to make hundreds of these over the course of weeks leading up and in preparation for ceremony. Through this practice, I first heard and was struck by the idea of "making prayers"-- as if it is an actual act that we must do to help others. This intent put in to making these ties is identical to how I address my work, with the same focus put into the made Prayer that I have when communicating with Spirit.

From this idea I find I can honestly and even proudly call myself a "Maker of Prayer."  Really, I think we all are in one form or another, whether we realize it or not.

Through sacred intent and the use of Shamanic techniques and tools and ritual, the prayer becomes "Prayer" and manifests inside of me into something tangible -- something  visual and/or auditory and/or sensual. Prayer  is now alive and is, in a way, a reflection of Spirit itself.  I actually "see/hear/feel" the living entity of Prayer and everything that revolves around and through it. By giving it deserved respect and reverence, Prayer  tells  me how to behave and act and how to animate and nurture it, allowing it to grow and prosper.

For me, Prayer is about extreme intent and focus on the request being made. To examine why it is being made, for whom, and for what end. To study the balance of the request. Many times what is being requested and the outcome that is being sought is nowhere close to what Spirit has to give. Spirit will always answer, it is just not always what you expect or what you think you need. You must always put aside your expectations, as I must do, as well, and let Spirit provide what is needed. By opening myself, I have to see and recognize these things. And of course I am personally a part of Prayer, too. So, I must recognize my own emotional attachment and limitations and accept this as part of Prayer… that I cannot make Prayer without being attached.

The art that is created many times is done as an actual part of Prayer, not just as a product of the meditation. This is called "meditative art" and is best seen within repetitive or contemplative art forms. These can be anything from crochet to drawing to yoga to cooking. Meditative art is a practice used to enhance the meditative state and to connect with Spirit during Prayer. Sometimes the art produced in this way ends up being the talisman or energy-holder of Prayer. Sometimes this art is only the rough sketch or first note or the seed that is to be planted, and the true answer from Spirit is yet to come.

Meditation art for me is just that, a form of mediation, and I use it in addition to other forms of meditation in order to fully make my Prayer and connect to Spirit. Meditation art and ritual are very similar. Over many thousands of years, ritual has been used and perfected by many cultures around the world. Creating and holding a ritualistic place for Prayer increases its potency and energy and purpose. Following a ritual also helps us to maintain our focus and intent, which of course, is what feeds Prayer. Through ritual, the use of group energies also plays a vital role in the potency of Prayer. There is no doubts within my mind that there is power in group Prayer and miracles do happen because of this. What I find fascinating within my own work and explorations and creations is the idea of fine-tuning and focusing, like a lens, the group Prayer into the Made Prayer and into the Living Prayer… and to witness how amazing things happen with this intent.

I see Prayer as the personified messenger that exists between myself and Spirit. My creation is both an offering to Spirit and a reflection of Spirit's answers delivered back to me.

Through Prayer, Spirit is able to inspire art and music and story and movement, which  I, in turn, primp and dress and pamper Prayer with. I define and decorate Prayer. I dance around and through Prayer.

With this, then, my "earnest hope or wish" or my "solemn request for help … or thanks" is addressed by Spirit  for me to then pass along to those who need it -- or for myself if I need it -- and to provide strength and safety and health and happiness and comfort.
 
To use Shamanic terms… Both Prayer and myself become one tool, the "Hollow Bone" which allows the healing and loving energies of Spirit to pass freely to and into all of us.  

-- Owl

Comments