I Am Water


I Am Water

(In support of Standing Rock and the global need for environmental awareness and balance) #NoDAPL

I am wet and yet thirsty. Floating within an endless sea that is deep blue below and light blue in the expanse overhead. There are very few waves, just a rolling mirror with me bobbing, creating concentric circles that move out and away in all directions. Deep below, there are creatures that live and breath as easily as does the bird or the bear.

And now the air gets colder.

I become stiff and hard as the winds blow snows over the surface. And I find that I am moving so very slowly, but with such purpose, through a high mountain canyon. Trees and stones mean nothing to me, they offer no resistance to this path I am on. I am the ultimate earth-changer.

And now the air gets warmer.

I am rising now and feel a duality of being, between that of mist and that of air. Up and up I go and congregate and collect into vast white cotton that drifts over the vast ice sheets and oceans that I had been in, seemingly just minutes before.

And now the lightening strikes.

I fall in a torrent to waiting grasslands. Here I join and move in to the living things upon the ground, the plants and animals. I am inside of these creatures and I am what makes them breathe and move and think and be. I am also within the dark earth where I slowly move down the sides of mountains and hills, and through valleys and into the deltas. I move underground, as well, into the dark caverns and rivers, always reaching for the vast seas.

And here my journey continues. I am not really starting again, because this circle does not have a beginning or end. I am aware that I am within every thing and I am every where and that I am the medicine that Mother Earth has created to maintain and keep all things of this world in balance. I also know that I have been in this circle for millennia and will remain in this circle for millennia to come.

I know I am dirty now.

Oil and garbage circulate through my body because just one living thing on the earth has decided to take advantage and disrespect what I provide to every thing. Even when I move through their very being do I find chemicals that infect me. It is sad. I am sad. Because I truly and unconditionally love these creatures. I know that these poisons will be cleared from me at some distant point in the future, but I am disheartened knowing that these beings will most likely be long gone by then.

I will continue to hold out hope, however, that they will rediscover their respect, and that maybe they will honor me as they once did… as all other living creatures still do.

A'ho
This is my Journey
-Owl

order digital print

Comments