Feel Your Prayer


Feel Your Prayer

I sit in blackness, hugging my knees with face buried in my arms as the steam swirls and burns my exposed neck. 
I am instructed to pray as the Water Pourer sings a healing song in the Lakota tongue. I can hear the other hushed words from those tightly packed in around me … just a few recognizable words from the darkness … "Great Spirit be with them …." -- "Oh Tunkasila bring us..."  -- "Grandmother-Grandfather please help our…."
And so I pray, too.  In a whisper I say, "Grandmother-Grandfather please give me strength. Please help me to be more … more …  "  and I cannot think of the word. I sit for a minute and try to remember the right word… not quite "humble" … not quite "giving" … 
Then something happens.  I suddenly forget words and language altogether and sink into the feeling of who I wish to be in order to define it to Spirit and myself.  I let that feeling flow and define my prayer in its entirety. I stop praying out loud, while the others continue, because my prayer has transformed into something more clear and more relevant and more pure and more quiet.
At this point I begin to hear … no --  feel … the prayer coming through the song of the Water Pourer. I can understand completely the Lakota words he sings. The words have become real feelings and real beings  because they are each prayers in and of themselves.
I add my prayer to those he sings and it fits and it is welcomed. 
And then without speaking,  I FEEL the prayer that would normally be spoken as the words "Thank You" and "Pilamaye" .
This is my Journey.
--Owl


Comments