Stone on the Mountain



A Stone on the Mountain

It is cold and snowing
The trail at my sore feet is icy and hard
The wind blows off the steep bank on my left
Down over me on its way to some valley below
The air is thin and bites at my throat
But I continue my song as I move up the path

Wolf moves up beside me
His fur is frosty and his head leans low into the wind
And we sing to each other and tell stories
Of others who have braved this steep path before us
And how they suffered and prevailed
And after many steps, triumphed when they reached the top

We stop for a short break under a tall pine
And lay down together to stay warm
I rub Wolf's fur slowly and I sweep his energy
And he purrs
I find that there is a sharing of this pleasure between us
That in some magical way both of our energy is swept clean

We continue and he tells me of Mother Earth
How she is always beneath us
That where we step should be chosen wisely
That when we step should be carefully planned
And that how we step must be done with intention
Because she is aware of every step made on this planet

We struggle up the cold mountain trail
But with anticipation under our heavy breathing
And our feet eventually find the very highest stone
So far above everything I know of this world
But it is a stone that is just as much a part of Mother Earth
As the rest of this mountain and this earth and this universe

So Wolf and I sing a song of gratitude
We sing Love with Mother Earth
For the lessons and gifts she gives us each day

--Owl

Comments